Friday, May 18, 2012

Devilishly Filled Peanut Butter Cupcakes

For my co-worker's birthday my devils food cupcakes with peanut butter frosting was a no brainer because that is his favorite but I wanted to do something different this time. After my recent success with filled cupcakes I decided to insert some forsting into the bottom of the cupcake. I know that there are now those fancy cupcake core removers out there but I just took a tube of the frosting a #tip and just stuck it right into the cupcake and filled it until a little came out of the top; I then scraped off all the extra. These came out amazing. My coworkers have had this recipe many times before but the reviews I got on this particular cupcake was astonishing. I actually never eat the cupcakes (I am a batter and frosting girl) but I had to go get one after lunch just to see if they were better and WOW that is some peanut butter heaven.

I originally just made 1 1/2 of the frosting recipe but needed some more for the last few cupcakes so I would say double it (which actually Is what the original recipe called for). These also came out so much cuter than the first time I made them, I am finally trying to get the look to match the taste!


Though previously listed on this site, I figured I would list the recipe again with the correct amount of frosting for filled cupcakes.

PS Sorry for the iPhone cupcakes at my desk, I always forget to take pictures until the last minute!






DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE RECIPE
(Source: allrecipes.com)

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups water
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter or margarine
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup baking cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in sugar and butter until butter is melted.
- Add eggs and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture and mix thoroughly.

Pour into cupcake pan and bake for 13-15 minutes, it makes 15-20 cupcakes.


PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING
(Modified from: The Peanut Butter & Co. Cookbook)

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/4 C. (2 1/2 Sticks) Unsalted Butter, softened
1/4 C. Smooth Peanut Butter (I use the same amount for half the recipe so you can use a little more)
5 C. Confectioners' Sugar
1/2 tspn. Salt
1/4 C. plus 1 T. Milk


DIRECTIONS:

- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to whip the butter and peanut butter together.
- Add the confectioners' sugar, salt, and then milk.
- Add additional tablespoons of milk or sugar to loosen or tighten the icing, respectively.
- For best results, use immediately.

NOTES:
- If the Devils Food batter looks thin - don't worry it is!!!
- The icing makes 4 cups, the halved recipes makes enough for one batch of cupcakes but use a whole batch for filled cupcakes.
- I added extra peanut butter, especially when halved, it is not an overly peanut buttery flavored frosting but it is definitely creamy.

No comments: