After being snowed in all week I was actually excited to go to work today, sad I know! But I was also excited because it was one of my good work friend's birthday and my friends get to request what type of birthday cupcake they want. My friend requested Red Velvet Cupcakes and I made them last year for Valentine's Day and for another friend's birthday but I didn't love that recipe, even after tinkering with it. But after all the reviews today I think this is the recipe!!! So easy and delicious a definite home run! I used my trustworthy cream cheese recipe! These are perfect for Valentine's Day so enjoy and I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
RED VELVET CUPCAKES
2 1/2 C flour
1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tspn baking soda
1/2 tspn salt
1 C butter, softened
2 C sugar
1 C sour cream
1/2 C milk
1 (1 ounce) bottle red food color
2 tspns pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in sour cream, milk, food color and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended. Do not overbeat.
-Spoon (or an ice cream scoop) batter into 30 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full. (Don't worry batter is thick)
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean. 19 to 20 minutes was perfect for me.
- Cool in pans on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
1/2c. of unsalted butter (softened)
2- 8oz. packs of cream cheese (softened)
3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
1 tbsp of vanilla extract.
- Cream the butter and cream cheese together and then add the powedered sugar and vanilla.