Friday, March 9, 2012

Cheers with a Cupcake!

Of course as soon as I came up with the idea of a margarita night I started thinking about what I could bake; seriously I don't think I could have done any better since this had not only the cute factor but the delicious tasting factor. It was a huge hit. A lot of the margarita cupcake recipes I saw used tequilla either in them, glazed on top, or in the cream cheese and I really wanted one that did not have any tequilla in it because I knew we were going to have enough delicious margaritas and one of the girls who came was pregnant.

I made cupcakes out of this recipe and it came out to be 12 normal size cupcakes and about 8 minis (I do not use wrappers for the minis). O I messed up and forgot to add the lime juice to the cupcakes so at the last minute before they went into the oveN I sprinkled it into each muffin tin and then mixed it. The recipe below had a cream cheese recipe with it but not everyone seemed to love it and I knew I had an amazing cream cheese frosting recipe so I altered it to be a lime cream cheese frosting. I used the bottled lime juice because I am lazy. I ended up putting a lot of frosting on these (which everyone loved) and then sprinkled green sprinkles on top to look like green salt. I also cut straws down to size and used part of it to be a straight straw and then the bendy part too ( I had to cut both sides). I also bought some of the lime fruit salad slices and cut them in half for the big cupcakes and in thirds for the minis.


So happy with the way these came out. People took some cute pictures like they were drinking out of the straws :)


MARGARITA CAKE
(Source:Allrecipes)


INGREDIENTS

1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix (I used a golden butter recipe cake mix)
3 egg whites
1 (10 fluid ounce) can frozen margarita mix (such as Bacardi®), thawed
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon grated lime peel
1 tablespoon lime juice

DIRECTIONS:

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13-inch cake pan or a cupcake tin.

- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cake mix, egg whites, frozen margarita mix, vegetable oil, lime zest, and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.

- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center shows moist crumbs, 30 to 35 minutes. If you do cupcakes about 15-20 minutes. Cake will be very moist. Cool in the pan.



LIME CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
(Source: Alexis)

INGREDIENTS:

1/2c. of unsalted butter (softened)
2- 8oz. packs of cream cheese (softened)
3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
1 tbsp of Lime Juice (might need an extra 1 to 2 tablespoons based upon on thickness and flavor)
1/2 of a lime grated

Directions:

- Cream the butter and cream cheese together and then add the powdered sugar, lime, and lime peel. If you need to make it thinner use some more lime juice - I think I used an additional tablespoon but of course didn't write it down!

No comments: