Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Perfect Cake Version 2.0

I live in DC where there is a pleothra of cupcake shops and honestly I can bake better than a lot of them, this has been told me by a lot of people. However, I cannot make mine as pretty and professional looking as they can. A few weeks ago two of my college friends and I had a sugar adventure and started with Frozen Hot Chocolates at Serendipity 3 and then walked over to Georgetown Cupcake (from the tv show DC cupcake) but after looking at the ridiculously long line (and my friend somehow getting a free cupcake) we walked over to the new Sprinkles cupcake. I had one of the most delicious cupcakes there and thought wow this tastes extremely similiar to my favorite chocolate chip cake but with peanut butter. So last nite I experimented and made the original recipe adding a little bit more than half a jar of peanut butter and have had nothing but rave reviews today, I was told it was the nice hint of peanut butter. So this is definitely a keeper! I made a chocolate glaze but spread it on slightly thicker then your typical glaze, absolutely perfect!


I made it as cupcakes but the recipe was originally for a bundt cake.




PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP CAKE/CUPCAKES

DIRECTIONS:

1 pkg. Deluxe Yellow Cake Mix
4 large eggs
1 C. vegetable oil
1 C. milk
1 box instant vanilla pudding
1/2 to 3/4 of a jar of peanut butter (reduced fat worked well)
1 - 4oz bar German's Sweet Chocolate grated (grate it by throwing it in the blender)
Handful of Chocolate Chips (I use usually 2 handfuls)

DIRECTIONS:

- Mix all ingredients except chocolate chips.
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Pour into a greased Bundt pan or cupcakes
- Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.....(50 minutes is usually enough)For cupcakes about 23-25 minutes.


SATINY CHOCOLATE GLAZE
INGREDIENTS:

3/4 C. semisweet chocolate chips
3 T. butter
1 T. light corn syrup
1/4 tspn. vanilla extract


There are two different ways to do the glaze - the official directions are first then my short cut ones are second

OFFICIAL DIRECTIONS:

- In a double boiler over hot, but not boiling water, combine chocolate chips, butter, and corn syrup. Stir until chips are melted and mixture is smooth, then add vanilla.
- Spread warm glaze over top of cake, letting it drizzle down the sides.

MY DIRECTIONS:

- In a microwave safe bowl melt chocolate chips and butter, occasionally stirring.
- After melted add corn syrup and vanilla.
- Spread warm glaze over top of cake, depending on the thickness either drizzle it or just spread it over the top and down the sides.

No comments: