Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Best Baked Eggplant Parmesan

As I repeatedly have said (to probably myself since I don't think anyone reads this) I am not a cook, a baker yes but a cook no. I think part of the issue is that I live by myself and will eat everything.  My favorite thing in the entire world is eggplant parmesan and I honestly found the best recipe.  Since I love to eat and could eat the entire thing I modified the recipe for a smaller pan; I also took out some ingredients because honestly, I am lazy. I sometimes don't use all of the spices but I do use Progresso Italian breadcrumbs and they are fantastic.


 

Breaded and Ready For The Oven

 
All Layered

 
Just Out Of The Oven


 
DELICIOUS
 
 



BAKED EGGPLANT PARMESAN
(Modified from: Martha Stewart)

INGREDIENTS:

Olive oil, for baking sheets - I use spray
2 large eggs
3/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs (I just dump a bunch in a bowl)
3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan, plus 2 tablespoons for topping ( I omit this)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 large eggplant or 2 medium ones - sliced into rounds (I love the skin - recipe calls for peeled)
1 24 ounce jar of sauce (not a huge sauce person but works well for me)
1 bag of shredded cheese - I found an awesome mozzerela/parmesan blend

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush 2 baking sheets with oil; set aside. In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and 2 tablespoons water. In another bowl, combine breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan, oregano, and basil; season with salt and pepper.

2. Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture, letting excess drip off, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture, coating well; place on baking sheets. Bake until golden brown on bottom, 20 to 25 minutes. Turn slices; continue baking until browned on other side, 20 to 25 minutes more. Remove from oven; raise oven heat to 400 degrees.

3. I use a square 8x8 glass pyrex pan. I am not a huge sauce person - so I put a little bit on the bottom and then layer with eggplant; I don't leave any space so will cut some pieces of eggplant into half to fill up spaces. Sprinkle some cheese and keep repeating. I usually get about 3 layers.

4. Bake until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted, 15 to 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

No comments: