Thursday, February 7, 2013

Surprisingly Easy!

So if we can all remember back that far, let's talk about Thanksgiving desserts!! As a vegetarian and a sweets fanatic, dessert is my happy time for me - it is my Turkey. This year I made two staples, my Apple Oatmeal Crisp, which is honestly wonderful because there is a crisp later on the bottom and on the top.........thank god it is wonderful and worth it because the apples I bought from Target weren't big enough and I needed more so a quick run the nite before Thanksgiving to the foodstore we were back in business, my fresh Whipped Cream ( I think I did the recipe times 5 - no one will ever complain about too much whipped cream.) (I think new pictures are in order next Thanksgiving!

My cousin sent me an email asking me if I received Cooking Light with a picture of a recipe, after telling her no but the recipe looked great I was asked to make it for Thanksgiving.  I have never made a mousse before and some people (thanks mom) doubted my abilities to carry this off but I have to say in the long run it came out great and it was not hard at all.

The recipe does call for 1 tablespoon of Brandy and I somehow don't know anyone who keeps it on hand so my dad and I (family bonding right?) headed to the liquor store and bought a cheap MINI bottle - and seriously it worked out perfect.  Also, it says instant espresso granules and I don't drink coffee but my mom leaves some good British instant coffee in my fridge for when she comes down so I used that. For the Dutch Process Coco I just used my normal Hershey brand coco.  O yeah I forgot to read the Cool Whip directions on how to thaw it and so it wasn't really/fully thawed before I went to go use it so I mixed it a little before I measured it and I think put in some extra. Also, I had a 9 inch pan and just used that - maybe a little thinner but still delicious.

This recipe was declared a HUGE hit by the family even though when trying to cut and serve it, it fell apart a little bit. I love chocolate but even for me this is super chocolate so a little goes along way - isn't that what the whipped cream is for.



As I said one of my resolutions is to be better about taking pictures and honestly, this is the reason! I totally forgot to take the picture until people were halfway thru it!  




BAKED CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
(Source: Cooking Light)

Ingredients

1/2 cup water
1/3 cup Dutch process cocoa
1 teaspoon instant espresso granules
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
1 tablespoon brandy
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites1/3 cup sugar
Dash of salt
1 1/2 cups frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
Baking spray with flour (such as Baker's Joy)

 

DIRECTIONS:


  - Preheat oven to 350°.

 - Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add cocoa and espresso, stirring until smooth. Remove pan from heat. Add chocolates; gently stir until mixture is smooth. Stir in brandy and vanilla. Pour chocolate mixture into a large bowl. Let stand 10 minutes; stir occasionally.

- Combine eggs, egg whites, sugar, and salt in the top of a double boiler, stirring with a whisk. Cook over simmering water until a thermometer reaches 115° (about 2 minutes), stirring constantly with a whisk. Place egg mixture in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until ribbony, soft peaks form (about 5 minutes).

-  Gently stir one-third of egg mixture into chocolate mixture; gently fold in remaining egg mixture. Gently fold in whipped topping. Spoon batter into an 8-inch springform pan coated with baking spray, spreading evenly. Bake at 350° for 27 minutes or until almost set (center will not be firm but will set as it chills). Cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Cover and chill at least 8 hours or overnight.

OR USE WHIPPED CREAM: You can substitute an equal amount of whipped cream for the whipped topping BUT you have to cook for 5 minutes longer.
 
 
 

No comments: